Friday, November 19, 2010

Good bye Canada, Hello Thanksgiving Dinner!

Due to my recent emergency appendectomy, Gary and I have decided to cancel our trip to Canada with my parents over Thanksgiving break. We were going to go to Niagara Falls, visit my uncle in Toronto, drive down through New York and visit Palmyra... it was going to be so much fun. However, surgery is not cheap and sitting in a car for 7 hours cannot be good for my recovering body. So, the new plans are put into place. Staying in Columbus for our first Thanksgiving as The Peterson's! This also means my first attempt at roasting my own turkey!!!!! I am totally up to the challenge, and loving the opportunity.


My game plan is to make the following items for our feast:

1. Alton Brown's turkey

2. Mashed potatoes (duh)

3. Homemade gravy (also a first!)

4. Green bean casserole

5. Corn pudding

6. Homemade stuffing (also a first!)

7. Half chocolate pecan/half pumpkin pie

8. Half chocolate cream/half coconut cream pie

I'm also going to attempt to make my own vegetable broth to brine the turkey with. We will see how it goes... With a little bit of time on my hands, I decided to go all "super wifey" on Thanksgiving pricing. I have looked at a number of ads and have been slowly buying up all the ingredients necessary for the Thanksgiving feast. If any of you are curious, here are some of the awesome prices I found:

Butter - $2/pack of 4 at Meijer
Potatoes - $1.50 for 10 lb bag at Aldi
Pecans- $2 for bag at Aldi
Chocolate chips- $2 for bag at either Meijer or Kroger
Pineapple- $2 at Kroger or Meijer
Green beans- $1/lb at Kroger and Giant Eagle
Fresh herbs- $2/pack at Giant Eagle
Chicken broth- $1/32 oz at Aldi
Ham- $1.50/lb at Walmart
Turkey- 49 cents/lb at Kroger or Giant Eagle

Because of what I have to leftover to buy, this girl will be going to Giant Eagle tomorrow with $5 off coupon in hand :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment