Sunday, December 27, 2009

Back in the Motherland

Hello friends! Currently reporting from the Motherland.
It's about 4:30 PM in Japan, and I am currently chilling out at my grandma/uncle's.
They live near Narita (where the "Tokyo" airport is) so I'm always super lucky in that my other uncle, aunt, and cousin always come to pick me up at the airport by car.
Although this may seem like the obvious thing to do in the US, in Japan, a lot of people have to take a 2 hour train ride or what not to get home from the airport.
Lucky for me, all I have to do it get in a car and drive 30 minutes and I'm home :-)

Last night after I got in, my grandma, two sets of uncles and aunts, and four cousins and I got together and had a family dinner. We had lots of AMAZING sashimi and sushi and chicken and potatoes and the whole works. Dinner was super good but unfortunately I couldn't eat as much as I wanted to because I was so tired from the flight :-( I only slept for about 30 minutes of the 12 hours I was on board. Fortunately, the guy I sat next to was very friendly so it helped to pass the time a little (although he goes to Purdue and is a Michigan fan which are two HUGE negatives). He was apparently going to Japan to visit his girlfriend who goes to school in Osaka. He also likes Family Guy so I got to watch the new Star Wars Family Guy movie which was hiiiiiilarious. I also watched Julie and Julia on the plane. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!!!!

As for Japan, I figured out why it's so cold here. Temperature wise it's pretty warm, and when you are outside it's pretty warm. BUT! Inside the house it's freezing because of the wood floors, no central heating, and bad insulation (at least at my grandma's house because it's old). So the room I'm in right now is warm because the heater is on and I'm sitting in a kotatsu (table with a heater on the inside). However, the room I sleep in does not have a heater and when I woke up I could see my breath! FML. Hopefully I will just adjust and it will be fine soon.

I will keep updating my blog so you can keep up with my life in the US. Love everyone*

No comments:

Post a Comment