Friday, January 8, 2010

Commute Dilemma

Yesterday was orientation and today was the first day of class. Meeting everyone that I will be going to school with was fun, but going to class was definitely not fun :-p I can't believe school has already started and winter break is officially over!!! I also don't understand why Japan feels the need to start school on a Friday, but whatever.

So because of where I live, there is no real easy way to get to school. Distance wise it's pretty close, but because of how the lines run, I inevitably have to change lines twice :-( Thursday I went Naka Meguro (Hibiya Line) --> Ebisu (JR Yamanote Line) --> Meguro (Namboku Line) --> Shirokane Takanawa. The crappy part is the only time I am on the train for more than one stop is on the Namboku Line. It ends up taking about 35 minutes door to door. For those who need a visual, my station is the orange highlight and the pink highlight is where school is at.


This morning, I thought that maybe it would be easier if I went the other way, so I went Naka Meguro (Hibiya Line) --> Roppongi (Oedo Line) --> Azabu Jyuban (Namboku Line) --> Shirokane Takanawa but it was a TERRIBLE decision. It took me nearly an HOUR door to door and the transfers were ridiculous. One transfer I had to go down 2 levels to get down to, and then the transfer after that, I basically had to go back up 2 levels and it was really far away. Needless to say, that will definitely be the last time I take that route.

So the way home today I took the Thursday route, but sometime next week, I'm going to try the bus. Sigh. All I want to do is find the best way to get to school :-p For those wondering below is what the subway map looks like in Tokyo. The crazy thing is, this is just the subway. It doesn't even include the regular trains.


Despite all the exhausting commute talk, I am super excited about dinner tonight! A mutual family friend is currently in Japan so my host family, our mutual family friend, and I are going to go eat fugu chiri nabe (chili blowfish hot pot) [chili as in chili peppers, not to be confused with chili with beans lol] I also just realized that I don't have an International Entertainment Law book. I have the class on Monday. Oops! Life goes on I guess lol

No comments:

Post a Comment